Child Refuses Spousal Visit

My child doesn't want to visit with my spouse. What should I do?

Gently explore with your children why they don't want to spend time with their other parent. Make sure they know that they can come to you with any concern.

If, after speaking to your children about their reasons for avoiding visitation, you determine that your children are being abused, seek help from your attorney or law enforcement authorities.

However, unless you believe your child is being harmed, you should support frequent and ongoing contact with the other parent. Be enthusiastic when you talk about visits with the other parent. Talk about all of the activities your children and the other parent will enjoy. The more supportive you are of the visit, the more likely your children will want to go and will enjoy their time.